How To Adjust The Valves On A 350 Chevy

Sikora

I need help with how to adjust the valves on a 350 Chevy. I tried adjusting them, the plug wires are on the right way (I checked),but the engine keeps dying because it idles too roughly. There has to be a simple solution.

Putnam Homestead

It has been a long time since I worked on one but as I recall, while running, tighten til they stop rattling then back off a quarter turn. A little loose is better than a little too tight. Loose is noisy. Tight burns valves. Hope it helps.

C.M. Wierick

Here is a link to the way I have been doing it. I always got them either too loose or too tight and had to go back and reset them. Especially after a top end job.

markmc60

I need help with how to adjust the valves on a 350 Chevy. I tried adjusting them, the plug wires are on the right way (I checked),but the engine keeps dying because it idles too roughly. There has to be a simple solution.
engine warm and running, loosen the nut till that rocker/lifter rattles, tighten until the noise stops, go a half turn by 1/4's, book says 1 full turn, have used the half for 40 years, works, wont rattle and wont burn a valve.
good video C.m. Wierick..that's the way I do mine when new install

pay1920

A vacuum leak will cause your engine to stall, With the engine running spray starting fluid on the vacuum hoses, if the engine RPM increases you've found your leak.

markmc60

before everybody just absolutely wears out the keyboard with all kinds of answers, WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF THIS PROBLEM, how did it start running rough?, because of human intervention? or it just started running rough?
if someone was working on it and mal-adjusted the valves as you eluded to, then that's a problem, but you woke up 1 morning and it was running bad, that is another complete line of thought. I should not have taken the bait and answered this topic...... I know better.

ch1ch2

ch1ch2

Farm Hand
As markmc60 said

need history....unless you want more bugs introduced to the problem

If it had been running why would you check if the wires were in the right place?

jim g

what year is the truck? condition of the spark plugs and wires? Carb or injection, HEI or points? many questions need answered before a true answer can be offered.