How to make orchid bloom

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, because I grow and sell houseplants as part of my business. However, I've never bothered with orchids as I think they're too fussy. My aunt died a few months back and I inherited her orchid collection since I'm "so good with plants." Things have been okay until now. One of my orchids has several buds that are on the cusp of opening, but they haven't opened yet and they should have by now. The buds are fully developed, but they won't seem to open up. I don't think the problem is due to the amount of light or moisture that they get. I'm sure I've got that down right. What else could be causing this problem?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Some orchids are fussier than others, it just depends on what type you have. If the stems, leaves, and roots all look healthy and your only problem is that the buds haven't opened, then I think your problem is the temperature. If the orchid is next to a window, make sure it isn't touching the pane and check for a cold draft. If the orchid is next to a heating vent, move it to a better location.

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
They really do take ages to open up, so this might its normal growth pattern. If the buds drop before opening you'll know you've got a problem.