How you envision retirement?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I've done the same song and dance for the past five years. I start the spring by announcing that this is going to be my last crop, my last batch of chicks, my last full season as a farmer because I'm going to retire. But I'm never really ready to let it go. Winter thaws and it's time to plant my last crop - again. I'm not a spry young man anymore, but I suspect the call of spring will get to me again next year. How do you envision retirement? Do you think you'll ever get there?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Farming was never my main income, but it was something that I loved. I had to retire from farming because of degenerative disc disease. I've had three back surgeries, and I finally couldn't maintain 103 acres, producing my own hay and running a dairy goat farm, and also raising sheep for wool and an egg business. We also had 15 horses, 6 llamas and 6 alpacas. My wife also developed fibromyalgia, so she was limited in how much she could do. Last year we sold our farm and bought a small (9 acres) rural property. Our property is now mostly wooded, but we have a large garden and still have a pet goat and sheep (as well as 4 dogs and 2 cats). We have a series of trails thru our property that my wife likes to maintain, including her "river walk", a trail along our creek, that she built herself. Believe it or not, every one of our animals was a pet, and finding them new homes was the hardest thing we ever did. I miss farming, but I especially miss all of my animals.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
I love that Rich! All of your animals were pets! I do envision retiring at some point - way too young right now. I am hoping that one of the children will keep running our family farm. I want to travel the US in a RV.