Hugelkultur gardening

Gardenry

Farm Hand
Has anyone tried this method of gardening? I did it two seasons ago and it didn't go well. I think I built it up too high and I made the slope too extreme because the water always ran right off which didn't help my vegetables at all.

jvR80uH.jpg

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I can't say I know that much about it, but from your image, it looks similar to composting in place. If you try it again, maybe start with a ditch for the bottom layers so that your crops aren't sitting up so high at the end.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Are you supposed to let it rot for a year or two first or do you plant right on top of that? It takes a while for wood to break down, so I'm not sure that would work because the roots wouldn't have anything to grow into and to anchor them. Maybe it works perfectly though.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I've heard about that type of gardening, but I've never tried it myself. It's supposed to be a great way to conserve water, feed the plants, and deter pests.

Gardenry

Farm Hand
Are you supposed to let it rot for a year or two first or do you plant right on top of that?
Ha, I planted directly on top immediately, but maybe I should've done it your way and waited until it started to rot. I think I'll try putting everything in a ditch right now and planting over it in the spring. Maybe I'll have better luck.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
This is something that I have never heard of. Yet the pictures caught my interest, I need to know more. I can offer no advice but you have given me something to research!

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
This is pretty cool. What are the pros to this though? Do you use less water? I have never heard of this but it looks like a pretty neat experiment.