Combines IH 466 engines

Anteater6788

I would do the bearings with that many hours. The other things depend on how it runs, if it runs good I wouldn't worry about it.

Old_Pokey

You could take an oil sample and have it analized. If you take one every year you'll have a data history to help base your decisions on. If you've always kept a clean air filter on it and cooled it down proper before shutdown, the turbo will last a long time. One of the biggest 466 engine killers in these parts, is an unmaintained fuel injection system. Good luck, hope everything goes well for you.

Dingo

I would at least roll in a set of bearings at that many hours. Having someone do a cylinder leakdown test will tell you the condtion of the rings and pistons. We went through this a few years ago at about 3200 hrs and found we needed a complete rebuild. We ended up getting a reman from SRC because it was more cost efffective that paying for labor to rebuild out engine.

Deadduck

The biggest problem we've had with the IH Melrose engines (414, 436, 466) has been cavitation of the wet sleeves, even with the coolant filter_conditioner. I don't think I have ever had a main or rod bearing fail before the sleeves rusted through. And, as Ol' Pokey said, bad fuel injectors can also cause problems. These engines do tend to have a shorter lifespan on a combine than in a tractor. So you could have it checked out, get an oil analysis and a compression test. Put an accurate mechanical guage on it to see what kind of oil pressure you have once it warms up. Personally, if it is still running strong with good oil pressure when warm, I wouldn't worry about it.