Micro-Irrigation is defined as the application of water in small, frequent and precise quantity to each plant separately through emitters. It is the most advanced irrigation technique having highest application efficiency.
In this process, water is continuously delivered in drops at the same point and moves it into soil and create moisture vertically by gravity and horizontally by capillary action.
Lets talk about future, by 2050, there will be around 10 billion people living on our planet and 20% less arable land per person to grow enough calories. Increasing water scarcity, is the most crucial problem we are facing today.
In traditional technique in agriculture almost 30% of water wastage has been observed so we have to educate people and have to implement such practices which will increase productivity with using less resources..
For this purpose we can rely on Drip-irrigation, as it changing the economics of global agriculture by allowing farmers to produce more calories per hectare and cubic meter of water.
How Micro-Irrigation is beneficial:
- Productivity: It delivers more productivity with the use of similar resources or may be less than what you were using in the traditional process.
- Global Impact- It is environmentally sensitive and capable of preserving the nature and water resources.
- Minimum input maximum output- It helps to produce more from the available land, water and labor resources without ecological or social harmony.
- Profitability- It can generate higher income from your land.
- On-farm and off-farm employment.
- Increases yield
- Water saving
- Fertilizer saving
- Increased Fertilizer efficiency
- Energy saving
- Early maturity
- Labor saving
- Marginal lands can be irrigated
- Use of saline water is possible for irrigation
- Less problem of disease and pests.