Intercropping

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I'm going to try a new thing next season, intercropping. Does anyone do it? What crops will grow good planted together? What makes sense? I have heard that it is really great for the soil.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The main idea behind intercropping emanates from the fact that different crops are least likely to share insects and disease-causing agents. You may want to check out the different types of intercropping before making a choice.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We didn't dig into this yet. We didn't do enough research and with covid we didn't want to waste any money or field space. We are doing research now and I hope to do this next season.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I'm going to try a new thing next season, intercropping. Does anyone do it?
I do and I highly recommend it. One thing that I always add is marigolds because they attract pollinators while deterring white flies and killing bad nematodes. Cucumbers and tomatoes grow well together. There are tons of options, really.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
I have never done something like that. Anyway, I think this is a good option, I'm doing something similar after all. My beds contain only one type of plant, but at the edge of bed I have sunflowers. They attract the bugs being damaged, but at least there are less bugs on the other plants.
Anyway, if you want to interplant something, you have to take into account how many times you water them. In other words, you can't interplant two plants whose need for water is different.

Pk2uk2us

Pk2uk2us

Farm Hand
In Asia ,we do 3 crops 1- inside soil-(like sweet potato) on the ground like spinach- 3rd bitter gourd which goes above and grow along with sticks. But in USA its going to be very labour intensive for farmers plus the combinations of crops have to perfect.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Anyway, I think this is a good option, I'm doing something similar after all.
I think most people do some intercropping at home, but they just don't think of that way. I intercropped some of my flowers so that the more expensive flowers are protected by the cheaper flowers. I also usually plant shallow-rooted vegetables with deep-rooted vegetables to make the most of my plot in my home garden.

@Pk2uk2us, I've always assumed that Asian agriculture was the most intensive, just because the population is so large. I see I was wrong. I enjoy hearing about farming practices in other countries. I've picked up a few tips over the years that I wouldn't have heard from a local.