Invasive Plants

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
Do you struggle with invasive plant species on your farm? If so, how do you deal with them? I'm dealing with garlic mustard. Thankfully, we don't raise crops (just a garden) but even so, garlic mustard is a huge pain! I can't imagine dealing with it on a commercial scale.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
At least your garlic mustard is edible. Eh, just trying to look on the bright side. I have mint growing everywhere. I planted it, so I did it to myself, but I didn't realize just how quickly it would spread.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Yeah, mint spreads like crazy. We use old livestock tanks as raised beds, and we only plant mint in the tanks so it won't spread.

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
At least your garlic mustard is edible. Eh, just trying to look on the bright side. I have mint growing everywhere. I planted it, so I did it to myself, but I didn't realize just how quickly it would spread.
I think that my family will protest if we have garlic mustard for another meal! I've been looking into freezing it and sneaking it into sauces and soups. But there's so much of it, we couldn't possibly hope to eat it all.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I'm not sure what it is, but I have some sort of invasive ivy growing around my wood fences. I hack it back several times a year, every year, but it just keeps coming back. If only my tomatoes were that determined to flourish.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
Interesting, garlic mustard. I think I would like that. We have some crazy flowering vine growing in our flower beds. I pull it out every year but it keeps coming back.

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
I'm not sure what it is, but I have some sort of invasive ivy growing around my wood fences. I hack it back several times a year, every year, but it just keeps coming back. If only my tomatoes were that determined to flourish.
That exactly how I feel about my watermelon! It would be great if the plants we want to grow would actually grow. My current management method is pulling out garlic mustard and feeding it to our pigs. They haven't gotten sick of it yet (unlike my family!)