Combines JD 7000 corn planter

hwy19farm

It has been a while , but if I remember a split washer on the shaft beside clutch will do it.

redMN

The clutch system is worn. Went through the same situation as you. Its about a 4-5 hour job to replace.

guru

set your planter up so the clutch is engaged have a look at the gap behind the throw out lever this been the staionary one if you measure this gap and then put a spacer in u will find the clutch will work fine depending on what size planter u have the job is not that big the large planter if i am right have a slit shaft and you only have to pull them out to clear the clutch the post b4 with the washer also works for a while

allisfarmer2

took a good look at the planter yesterday and was disappointed on the poor engineering design of the clutch when it needs replacing! one solid shaft,all bearings and sprockets need to be slid off or torched off,thats extra $$$,or is there an easier way IJ jl

trapper219

I cut the shaft in half with a sawzall and made a connecting collar out of a piece of pipe to join the cut back together. Take your time and measure exactly where the cut should go as to not interfere with the bearings and such. It has been two years since I did mine this way, and unless you have a 6 row like mine I doubt that any measurements that I gave you would work. Good luck!

allisfarmer2

I take it that you must cut out about the length of the notched collars to get them off!then replace the shaft when done , rightIJIJ jl

trapper219

No, just make sure that you have room to slide the shaft apart far enough to clear the notched collars you are referrring to. You may have to disconnect the chains that drive the seed meters, and then you can slide the outer part of the severed shaft out of the way. Once I got the new parts onto the shaft, I made a coupler out of a piece of pipe, and I fastened the pipe to the shaft by drilling 1_4" holes through the shaft and then bolting the coupler to the shaft. I was thinking about your situation this weekend, and I think that the problem that you are experiencing is not from a worn clutch, but from one that is not adjusted properly. When my clutch wore out it wouldn't disengage, but you're seeing the opposite problem. I don't remember if there is a way to adjust them, but you may want to check this out before you tear everything apart. Good luck, if you need me to, I'll send pictures of the coupler that I made.