Keeping small critters out

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
What is everyone doing to keep small critters out of your gardens? I know it's almost impossible to keep them out of your fields. We have tried fences but they aren't keeping the chipmunks and squirrels out.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I wish I knew! We have little critters already eating and moving bulbs in our flower beds. I've heard cinnamon helps deter them but that hasn't worked so far.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
We put cinnamon and moth balls in our flower beds. Last year we had a horrible time keeping bunnies and chipmunks out. We started to use both those items and they stopped going in.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Get raised garden beds. You can always fasten tacks or something on the legs to discourage the little critters. A waist-high bed would be preferable. No bending and no critters.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
What is everyone doing to keep small critters out of your gardens? I know it's almost impossible to keep them out of your fields. We have tried fences but they aren't keeping the chipmunks and squirrels out.
Have you tried covering the beds with chicken wire?

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Wait, why would you cover with chicken wire? How would the crops grow up through the wire?
I am putting in some raised beds this year. I'm hoping it helps keep the critters out.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I wasn't clear, I meant make a high cage around the beds with chicken wire.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
@RichZ - that makes sense now. A fence around the garden plot. We have a large garden and have the same issues. Maybe we should switch to chicken wire. The varmints still get in through our fence.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
I'll have to try cinnamon. How much do I need to put down? I already use cayenne pepper to keep the snakes out of it. We have a big crick that runs out back, it attracts snakes.