Kids and vaccine?

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
My wife and I both have gotten the covid vaccine. We aren't so sure that we will let the kids get it. I'm pretty sure we won't. Has anyone else thought about this? What are your thoughts?

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Nope, no way! I don't let my children get the flu shot. This is just way to new! What horror stories will come out in years about it. I made the choice to get it, I wouldn't make my children.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
I wouldn't bother with that. If 70% or so of adults are vaccinated or immune, it's rather pointless to get a child vaccinated. They don't need it.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Don't they have to be over 16 to be eligible for the vaccine? My kids aren't old enough yet, but if they were, I'd probably let them decide. I figure that 16 is old enough to weigh the choices and the possible consequences for either decision.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I think it is only people over 16. I think they are working towards producing something for younger children too. I wouldn't get it either, you don't know about fertility issues or anything else.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Nope, I would not let my minor children get this vaccine. I'm not anti-vax but this one is too new. We just don't know what issues there will be in the long run. I'm hopeful that there are none.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
We had our oldest child vaccinated. I didn't want to get the vaccine myself originally, but because we live in a large, southern, conservative city, few people have taken the vaccine. There will be no herd immunity here, folks refuse to wear a mask and social distance, and plenty of business folks in the community travel internationally. In other words, there's plenty of risk to go around. So, we all got vaccinated including our teenager. Our teenager wants to get back to school, hang with his friends, play basketball when it resumes, and date again. I just don't see how he could do those things safely without getting vaccinated. I pray it was the right decision.