Kids having hard time

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
My kids have been getting more involved with the farm (especially with the animals). They are both having a hard time knowing that we are going to sell a few cattle. That was the plan all along. How do we make it easier on them?

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
Most hamburgers and leather purses started out as a cow. The reality is that a living animal was sacrificed in order to make those things. But at least your cows have had a good life. Not many can say that.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Wow Arc, that was kind of "real". Bigred, I wouldn't be quite so real with the kids. I mean it is a tough thing to learn especially if they are getting "close" to the cows.

Demeter

Demeter

Farm Hand
Some kids do struggle. Don't allow them to name the animals or give them nicknames or call them anything cutesy. If your kids do chores around the livestock, then make sure to rotate them out so no one becomes too familiar with the cows, chickens, or other creatures. That helps them from becoming too fond. However, sometimes they just don't get over it. In those instances it's best to keep the child away from the animals. Those children should do house chores instead and will probably need to visit someone else when it's time for slaughter.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
@Holii, sorry about that. It made perfect sense to my adult mind, but maybe my explanation would upset a child. I meant no harm.

@BIGRED, I hope you guys have worked something out and that your kiddos are doing okay.