Local 4H wants to come to farm

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I've had a leader of the local 4H club contact me about the farm animals. I don't mind letting people come over but I'm not sure I want a bunch of younger kids there all at once. Thoughts?

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Let me start with - whats the downside?

Its 4H - not a kindergarten class. Yes, there will be young kids and livestock. There will also be adults who have experience around livestock presumably (after all, they are involved in 4H and presumably were in it when younger).

As long as there is a reasonable adult to child ratio (say 5-6 children per adult if under age 8-12) and split into smaller groups if more than 20 potentially - cannot see there being issues.

Assuming you have insurance, your fine there. After all - the club would be primary (as they organized the trip). Each case is very individual - so cant answer much to that end - but as a high level overview - you would be covered by most any homeowner/farm policy for guest.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
Maybe just request that there are enough adults to watch the young kids when they come so you don't have to worry so much about it. I think it's cool that they want to come check out your farm.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We have decided to let them come. My wife and kids are excited! I checked our insurance and it's good to go. I did request that they bring enough chaperones so that kids don't wander off.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Sounds like it's going to be good time. :)

sunger

sunger

Farm Hand
I have the local high school FFA class come nearly every year to see my buffalo. Never an issue, and I love showing them off.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
Buffalo, you say?

"Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play"

Gene Autry

You must have quite the spread to have buffalo, my friend. Do you have a drone yet to keep eyes on the herd?

sunger

sunger

Farm Hand
I have them on 100 acres, divided into 3 pasture rotations. No drone needed, which would probably just spook them anyway.