Local store giving scraps

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
Our local grocery store has reached out to us to offer us "scraps". They have brought us produce so far. The pigs love it! Anyone else lucky enough to have this happen?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
That is awesome! I bet your pigs love the produce. We don't have any store helping us, but our neighbors do. They love to feed our animals. The kids love to too.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
When we had pigs we worked out a deal with one of the large local farmstands. We left them a large garbage can and they filled it with whatever old produce they had. I picked up the can every day and left them another empty can. It reduced their waste carting bill and I got free feed for my pigs. They were a melon farm mostly, so they sold melons that were also cut up, and we got the rinds as well as melons that were getting too old to sell. Our pigs loved it!!

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
That's awesome for you and Rich! I love the idea of helping each other out. We aren't that fortunate. I should maybe check with our local farmstand and our local store. That would certainly help with the feed cost.