Locally foraged salad

• Thread starter Petal to the Metal
  • Start date
Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
There's a popular stall at the farmers market that sells locally foraged salads. They have a limited amount which sell out fast, so I haven't been able to snag one yet to see what's in it. I figure it probably contains dandelion greens since those are easily obtained. What else do you expect to find in a locally foraged salad? It's been an excellent marketing tactic for them.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I personally don't see why, but foraged salads are also a popular add-on with our CSA members. I live in the South, so pokeweed is usually a top choice as the base, since it grows here in abundance. Wild strawberries, dandelions, morels, ramps, wild mustard flowers, chickweed, and wood sorrel often appear in these salads as well.

Patric

Farm Hand
I have never seen these but I could see how they would be popular. Dandelion and wild strawberries are delicious! I will have to keep an eye open for these salads because they sound really good.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
It sounds reckless to me. There are so many poisonous look-alikes out there. What if a customer decides to source their own and eats a deadly plant instead?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
What if a customer decides to source their own and eats a deadly plant instead?
It sounds to me like these people can't even be bothered to plant a home garden. Do you really think they're going to go out foraging? I highly doubt it.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I will have to keep an eye open for these salads because they sound really good.
If you feel comfortable identifying the proper plants, you could always pick your own. Just don't pick dandelions and other edibles from a site that could be contaminated. Picking them from your yard is fine, but picking them from the side of the road is not. You should be able to forage dandelions, wild strawberries, wild onions, wild violets, and miner's lettuce pretty easily.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
It sounds to me like these people can't even be bothered to plant a home garden. Do you really think they're going to go out foraging? I highly doubt it.
Oh, good point! You've made me laugh tonight, Susanna. Even my wife heard me and wanted to know what was so funny. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Yep, I was probably clutching my pearls for nothing.