Managing soil for planting

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The soil, a primary resource for food production, is crucial for farming. How often do you perform soil analysis? I don't have a specific time, but this is something I do from time-to-time. What are some of the practices that can help to enhance soil performance?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
I have our soil tested every once in a while, usually when something goes wrong during the season. As far as enhancing the soil goes, if you have an acid loving plant, then crushing some pine needles around the plant will help acidify the soil.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I've never tested my soil. I just haven't had a reason to do so. Adding lime helps when laying sod or sowing grass seeds. Adding crushed eggshells to the soil increases the soil's calcium level over time.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Adding compost to the soil makes a big difference. It slowly breaks down and keeps the soil healthy. It also helps aerate the soil. I get our soil tested sometimes. I don't have a strict schedule with it though.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
Healthy soil forms the basis of profitable and productive agricultural systems. There are many ways to achieve this, but what's important is having a workable crop and soil management system.