Marek's disease

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Thankfully, I've never had to deal with Marek's disease in my flock. My understanding is that it's impossible to cure, so the best thing is to cull those birds. However, I noticed a sign-up sheet at the local feed store for a class about helping your flock recover from the disease. Has the standard advice changed?

Patric

Farm Hand
I don't think it's changed. At least I have not heard that it did. Are you thinking of signing up? If I found a local class, I would. I like to keep up to date on medical items.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
However, I noticed a sign-up sheet at the local feed store for a class about helping your flock recover from the disease. Has the standard advice changed?
I think you're just misinterpreting what they meant. The class will probably be about isolating the sick birds and making sure that it's Marek's. Then culling and disposing of the carcasses responsibly. They'll likely bring up vaccinations to make sure that the remaining birds remain healthy, as well as when it's okay to breed your flock or add more chicks from outside sources.

Grower

Grower

Farm Hand
It'll be helpful to sign up for that class, regardless if it'll help your flock recover from the disease. Maybe you'll learn more ways about how to handle the situation in case your flock gets infected with the disease.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
I think you're just misinterpreting what they meant.
Yep, that was it. The speaker is a popular breeder in my area. I signed up just to see what it was about, because an expert trying to cure Marek's means I'd want to start buying fertile eggs/chicks differently than usual to steer clear. I'm happy to report that I misinterpreted the class descriptor.