Microclimates

ejsennott

ejsennott

Hi, I am a small farmer doing some research on microclimates and meteorology.

My question is, what are the coldest (frost-prone) and warmest (resilient against frost) microclimates you have witnessed in your local area,

and how much do the temperatures of these microclimates vary?

Also tell me about some factors besides the obvious ones, that affect frost risk.

For example, higher humidity levels lead to lower diurnal range therefore lower frosk risk.

If your farm has plants that "sweat" a lot through evapotranspiration what will the effect be?

If you have sandy soil that is dry, versus dark soil that is wet. Maybe the topography of your farm will affect the accumulation of water in the soil.

Does your farm have areas that cause the wind to slow down, if not stop completely? Which increases the effect of radiational cooling.

Do the crops that your fellow farmers grow also affect the air temperature.

Maybe your local area is less cloudy on average allowing for more radiational cooling?

Just give me some examples. Tell me the temperature spread between the various microclimates in your area.

Also, tell me how this microclimate makes your farm's climate more similar to one north or south of you.

(Sorry for the terrible wording).

For example, a farmer in the panhandle of Florida who has a frost-prone microclimate on his farm may experience a climate closer to that of central Alabama.

And a farmer with a good microclimate will experience a climate more similar to central Florida.

Basically, if you wanted to create the most frost-prone microclimate possible what would you change?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I live in the South, and we still haven't had a hard frost. It should've happened a month ago, according to the Farmer's Almanac. Global warming has changed our climate so much. I hope you researchers can figure things out. If I wanted to create the most frost-prone microclimate, I guess I'd change the temperature and the humidity.