Missing chickens

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I went out to feed my chickens this morning when I noticed I'm missing three hens. I know they were in the coop last night because I count the chickens as they go in. I've looked everywhere for them. There's nothing out of place to suggest there was a predator. There's no blood, trail of feathers, or anything else. What do you think happened to them?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
That's tricky. Did you hear them fussing last night? Can you set up a motion activated camera? Whatever got into your coop last night is likely to strike again if it's a predator.

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
Is there any chance that you miscounted the chickens while putting them up for the night? I don't mean to doubt you, but if a predator got in surely there'd be feathers everywhere and the nests would be in disarray as panic would ensue. Could a curious child have let a few of them out?

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
I always used to joke that all missing chickens can be found inside the remaining chickens. Sometimes they go and hide somewhere when they're sick, like behind the houses or feeders. Also never underestimate how motivated a chicken can be to get free. If you were in that coop I bet you'd escape and take two friends with you.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
We used to have a fox nearby that would bite off the chicken's head, then hide its body away for later, before returning for more chickens that same night. There were no out of place noises and nothing was amiss in the hen house either. None of us had roosters at the time though. A neighbor just happened to catch it on camera.

TomGallopavo

You don’t say if they are freeranged but I assume so. Dogs will pick them up and run as well as yotes.

Last edited:
MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
I'm betting somebody got hungry. And I bet you'll see a consistent thinking if you don't secure them if a predator has found them as a food source.

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
I'm betting somebody got hungry. And I bet you'll see a consistent thinking if you don't secure them if a predator has found them as a food source.
They were secured though. Birdie said all the hens were put in their coop. Most coops are attached to a run, so even if they got out of the coop, shouldn't they be in the run? I find the whole thing strange. Getting a camera is the only thing I can think to do. I've never had one go missing without clear signs of a predator.

Trophyduck

Farm Hand
My brother "lost" some quail like that a while ago........he found (caught) his neighbor taking them and letting them go "free"......