Mistakes you've made with livestock

Birdie

Golden Chicken
We all make mistakes when it comes to raising livestock, especially when we're first starting out. Well, I made my biggest blunder after I'd been at it for a while. I enjoyed raising chickens, turkeys, and other animals, so when we moved to a new place with plenty of land, I decided to add goats to the mix. I did my research first, picked out the perfect variety, made them a goat-approved enclosure, had my fencing down perfectly, and was ready to go. Except I was operating under the terrible assumption that any vet would see any animal. Imagine my chagrin when none of the vets were up for providing care for my goats. None of the vets in the entire county, actually. Thankfully, I found a vet in the next county over who will come out here, but because he travels so far and it eats into his schedule, it costs quite a bit. Luckily, my livestock are pretty hardy and rarely have problems, so I usually just need him to come out once a year to check on them.

Giselle

Farm Hand
The beginning was always a mess. It was hard for me to find help back then as well. We gotta learn from our experience. That’s how everything works usually.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Oh, I agree with you there Giselle. I'm always thankful that I somehow managed to keep everything and everyone alive in the beginning. There's definitely a steep learning curve.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
My acquaintance has been talking how she has underestimate the costs and it was a tough time for her to go through with her farm. Also, I heard of problems with legal issues. But that’s really depending on where you live.