Moldy straw

Digger

Farm Hand
Messages
85
When I find some moldy straw bits I just throw that part out. I don't clear the whole thing out and dispose of it. My wife thinks that just throwing the visible parts away allows the unseen spores to spread. She's worried it will make the animals sick. But I think we'll always have mold anyway because we live in humid Florida and clearing the whole thing out will cost a fortune if we do it each time there's some moldy bits. The mold isn't climbing on the barn structure and the animals seem healthy as always. What's the proper procedure when you find bits of moldy straw?
 

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Messages
67
For peace of mind, do one big clean. Get rid of the straw. Check all the nooks and crannies in the barn to make sure that mold isn't spreading around. Then add brand-new straw. If the mold comes back, then you've either got a leak or your barn is just staying too damp and you need to fix that or at least make sure there's good air flow. Personally, I use the deep litter method and would cover it up with clean, dry straw instead of removing anything.
 
Last edited:

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Messages
83
I would get rid of the whole bale of straw too. I wouldn't just toss a little. I hope you did not find a bigger problem. You have to figure a way out to keep it dry, even living in Florida.
 
 
Top