Combines My 4400 and I have been Initiated

Bill

what happened to your windshieldIJ we always cover our combines and graincart tractors front windshields for transporting. maximizer wind shields cost over 1000. Happy holidays and harvesting

The_Red

Oh. If you page down to where I talk about starting the 4400 for the firat time on December 2, I had laid the engine cover screen on the feederhouse and up against the windshield. When I raised the feederhouse, I punched a hole in it via the screen frame. Pulled my Red for 1999.

Tom_S

We put a widshield in a 699 cotton picker 2 years ago. The glass cost $100 from a salvage yard. We peeled it out and roped it back in ourselves, but it took 2 of us. Believe it or not, that dad gum thing is heavy! Was this a new piece of glass that they installed for youIJ Is the machine home yetIJ Are you only going to harvest beansIJ Tom S.

Dannyboy

What a shocker. labor, Service, and Parts are high. It can pay to do things yourself. But, some stuff we just don't have the time or skill to do. So, we have to open up that ol' checkbook. Ouch...

The_Red

Tom the combine is still in the lot where I found it. I have to take off a hydraulic line and get a new one made. The line on the axle, that runs the lift cylinder in front of the engine platform, is leaking. Right now I am just going to run beans. Neighbors are already settup on 6-30 for corn. 4-30 would not be practical.

The_Red

I could have gotten a used one for around $150 but I guarantee you I would have broken it sticking it in. Insurance will cover all but $250 of it.

GreenMachine

Your neighbor has a 6620IJIJ I have had both a 4400D and a 6620 sidehill, and i think the

High_Rise

why didn't you just make your own for about 180 bucks, and buy some weatherstripIJ That's how us catskinners keep glass in our cabs while tearing out trees. Happy Holidays!

Tom_S

Red, I am like the fellow above. Keep your expenses on a corn header close to your pocket, and you will be able to harvest with any of them.Dollar for dollar this machine will prove to be most cost practicle, just smaller production. The cost of a Bu. corn divided by the cost of your 4400 compared to the same from their 6620. Just less of it. Keep this project simple and cheap. Consider fabricating a windshield from plexiglass or something to keep it dirt cheap until you can find a used one, maybeI am cutting hay with a 30 year old antique windrower nobody would have. You should see the looks when I am cutting! They can't believe I am doing the same thing they are with $25,000 NH and JD's. Tom S.