Combines N5 headshaft

T__langan

I sort of know the feeling - the '87 M3 we had several years ago would constantly shear the roll pin through the lower sprocket on the clean grain elevator allowing the clean grain auger shaft to spin inside of it. Of course, there was AlWAYS a paddle in the way to try and puch the pieces out. Don't tell anyone (we don't like to jerry rig stuff) but we finally welded that son-of-a-buck and cured the problem for as long as we owned it. Tom l.

Tom

A bad elevator chain can cause breakage like you are having. A few links could be stretched or otherwise causing the whole chain to bind. Tom Russell

Aar

Should have mentioned, new chain last year. Gets a little frustrating. Especially when the tattletail is on the side of the shaft that is still running. You don't catch it till the shoe plugs up and something else goes off. They should have put the clean grain sensor on the head of the bin fill auger.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Aaron, Are you sure that the clean grain conveyor is not bentIJI have seen this a lot on this vintage of combine.Then when you tighten the chain,you end up with a tight spot in one turn and a loose spot on next turn.With this condition,you can not get chain tensioned properly.I am sure you have your parts lined up,but I would have converted it to the 1 1_4" shaft and bearings like what the 84' and up machines have.This will stop the shaft from breaking,but if you don't find the original problem you may create others.

Tom

Good point about the monitor. When I removed the cage sweep, I moved the unused sensor to the head shaft. You might also look at the chain that drives the bin loader. Sometimes those sprockets are so out of round that you cant possibly tension the chain correctly. Maybe that is the reason the 2 series has a belt instead of a chain to drive the bin loader. Question for Hyper: is it feasible to convert that chain to a beltIJ Tom Russell

Dan

Aaron, I hope you replaced sprockets when you replaced the chain. Number one reason for shaft to break is over tightened chain. You could have a perfectly tentioned chain (not preloaded at all) with no load on chain and when you start it turning and pulling a load the chain slides up on worn sprocket and severely overtightens chain breaking headshaft or auger. Be sure to loctite sprocket to shaft to prevent looseness and pin shearing. Best to run chain a bit on the loose side if sprockets are worn. I wish you better luck next week. Dan