Natural remedies for heartburn

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
I've been experiencing wicked bad heartburn lately. I have not changed my diet and I don't drink caffeine. I hate medicine but something has to give. Anyone have any natural home remedies to help with the burn?

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
How severe is it, and would you classify it as heartburn or acid reflux? Since you haven't changed your diet, do you follow a low-carb diet? Sometimes, having undigested carbs in the digestive system makes you bloated.

Last edited:
Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Though many people experience heartburn and acid reflux, most of them choose commercial medications. However, lifestyle modifications can be equally effective. Do you often drink carbonated beverages or water? As much you haven't changed anything, carefully assess what makes up your current diet.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Milk! Milk always help me with heartburn. I think it coats my throat and does something with the acid in my stomach. I would also keep a food diary. Do some things bother you more than others? Try to vary your diet from this.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
My wife gets heartburn when she eats red sauce. She always drinks a glass of milk when we have red sauce. She has popped an occasional Pepcid pill. I like the food diary comment too.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
I agree that milk does help with heartburn. I also think that drinking water helps keep my heartburn in check. I do take an over the counter medicine though. You should check with your doctor though, it could be something more than just heartburn.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
Milk does relieve heartburn, but it also comes in different varieties; whole milk with the full amount of fat or milk with no fat. The fat in milk can aggravate acid reflux.