Not many eggs

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
My chickens are still laying, but they're not as productive as they should be this time of year. Could it be the extreme temps that we've seen this month? I haven't changed their diet or anything like that. What can I do to fix this?

Ritar

Ritar

Farm Hand
It certainly could be the heat! It's been crazy hot here this month too. I would just keep an eye on them to see if it gets better once it cools down (if it ever does).

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Excessive heat can reduce laying production. You can try putting some fans in the chicken coop. I've done that and it did help somewhat when it was very hot. Don't let the fans blow directly on the chickens, though. I used fans to mostly exhaust air to keep it moving.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
They might be more likely to start laying again if you keep them in their run instead of turning them loose. Of course, the trade-off is that you'll need to provide more feed since they won't be able to forage.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Thanks for the tip, @Henderson, I'll give that a try. We eat a lot of eggs as a family. I hope they kick up production before the cold months set in.