Combines Number of Grains in a Bushel of Wheat

UpFr

855man: The approximate number is 950,000 grains in a bushel of wheat based on a test weight of 60 lb_bu. My advice is to check with your local dealer and have him contact his service rep for a copy of the manufacturer's combine training literature. Most manufacturer's have some sort of publication describing a method for measuring grain loss at various locations from in front of the combine (pre-harvest loss) to the rear (total losses).

Chris

I'll second the comment on checking the manufactuer's information. It might be contained in your operator's manual.

C6012

A good way is to measure a 1' by 1' square behind the back of your green grass grower and count the number of seeds. If your really serious you can build a 1' by 1'wooden frame. Then to find how many grains per acre you are losing you divide 43,560(1 acre) by the width of your header. After that you times the number you got times the width of spread of material behind the seive. Then you times that by the number of seeds you counted in the 1' by 1' square. This should give you the number of seeds you are throwing out per acre.From there you can figure the number of bushels (according to UpFront 950,000 seeds in a bushel)you are throwing out per acre.

855man

Green grass grower huhIJ judging by your screen name and you know i have a deere, i may know you. where are you located o-dogIJ

C6012

What the hell are you talking about 855man. I have been farming for 60 years now in eastern Nebraska. I only assumed you had Deere combines because you were on this site. You must be one weird nut calling me o-dog. I was only trying to help but now I see that you weren't worth helping.

tj

In hard red winter wheat, about 18-20 kernels per sq. ft. = 1 bushel. In an uncut area count the number of kernels in several 1 sq. ft. areas and average the totals (A) to determine pre-harvest loss. After cutting some distance, stop the machine and check a couple of 1 sq. ft. areas behind the header to determine shatter loss and average those totals (B). Then average a couple 1 sq. ft.areas within the confines of where the shoe unloads, (as close to the rear axle as possible to try to negate effects of walker loss) (C). Shoe loss = C-(A+B) Hope this is understandable.

Big_Red

It takes 19 kernals per sqaure foot across the entire field to equel a bushel to the acre. So the best way to check is to take a running foot behind combine and header, total seeds and then divide by width of header. This gives total combine loss.