Old tractors

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I can't tell you how many older tractors I see sitting idle in fields. It's sad really. It's almost like old farms (abandoned) and the new owners or children of the old farmers just letting the tractors rust! I've stopped at a few places to see if I could buy a couple. No one sells them!

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
They might be there to designate a boundary point. I know my neighbor uses one for that purpose. Well, I think it was his great-grandfather actually, and it's never been moved. I doubt any of those old tractors can be fixed.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Some people use old tractors as lawn ornaments. I started my farming operation with vintage tractors. My first tractor, that I bought in 2000, was a 1951 Ferguson TO-20. It was a great little tractor. The next year I bought a 1967 Oliver 1550 with a loader. That was a fantastic tractor, too. I operated with just those two tractors for years. They did everything I ever asked them to.

Last edited:
Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
My grandfather had one. He felt like it was the tractor's proper burial ground after all those years of service. He couldn't bear to scrap it and wouldn't have gotten much for it anyway. So, whenever I see a tractor sitting out like that, I figure there's a story behind it.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I never really thought about it being the burial ground. I like that idea.
I did go talk with a couple of younger guys and they wouldn't sell. They said it has too much sentimental value.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I like seeing them myself, although I do agree that they are kind of sad. I can't say that I have any to spare for the purpose of having a lawn ornament. My tractor is still getting plenty of work. It's a good thing it's not a field hand, or I'd go broke paying for its labor.

Last edited:
BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
Yeah I'm with you Marty. I don't have any that are just sitting around either. I do have one that is getting pretty old. Maybe I'll let my wife plant flowers around it.