Orchids dropping blooms

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
My shipment of orchids looked great when they first came in. I've had them for about three weeks, and I've already sold a few. None of my customers have complained about them or anything. I know orchids don't like water, so I've been watering them sparingly. The rest of the plant looks okay. I don't normally work with orchids and I only sell houseplants when I get a good deal from a wholesaler. In other words, I have no idea why they're dropping their blooms and could use some help.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
My wife grows orchids (not to sell, just for her enjoyment) and I asked her. She says they lose their blooms after about 2 months and it takes them about 4 months to grow new blooms. They may be losing their blooms just because the blooms are done.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Phalaenopsis orchids usually drop their blooms when they're roots are left wet too long. I know you said you water them sparingly, but water could be puddling underneath the pot. If you've added a cache pot or the wholesaler included one, then make sure you empty it and dry it out good. There are many varieties of orchids, so if you don't have the most common orchid, let us know because the advice might change.

@RichZ, I find them fussy, so kudos to your wife for making them thrive.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
If you have them near your entrance, it might help to relocate them so they aren't getting blasted with frigid air every time a customer walks in. In your shoes, I'd mark them down so I could move them quickly. It takes orchids a while to bloom again, and you'll likely either need to put them in a window or provide supplemental lighting in order to make it happen. I love orchids and have several in my collection. They are rewarding plants.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I buy my wife an orchid every year. It is her favorite flower. I don't think she has ever got any of hers to rebloom. I didn't know they did either. 4 months for another blossom, wow!

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I appreciate the help! I marked them down and got them sold before the rest of the blooms could drop. Luckily I still made a tidy profit, though I'm not sure that I'd roll the dice again on orchids.