Combines Pea harvest questions

gleanermanitoba

I run rotors but basics are the same around here, run cylinder as slow as possible without slugging the machine, concave wide open, lots of air, we run with return door open as nothing of value comes out anyway. If it gets tough its pretty well quitting time, spent too much time unplugging after I should have quit.

Bigsky

I'd say 600 is to fast on the cylinder. Peas knock out easy, and if you split them, its dockage. Using a 9600 J.D. as an example, you would run in low range, cylinder at 400-450, and lower if the peas are dry.

tbeck

We ran a '76 l when first started in peas. We did buy the large diameter cylinder pulley to slow it down. 400 RPM will sound quite odd, but as long as things were dry it has all the capacity needed. Now I have stepped up to a R60 and am still learning! I need to do some tweeking to keep things flowing better. I did have luck at 550-625 rotor speed, with front of concave at aobut 3_8". When I went with more clearance I had troubles with "roping and rumbles" and got practice in shutting the rock door! The closer clearance apparently helped the rotor grab the vines and start them through. Post back if more questions. Moonshine and NDDan gave me very helpful advice last year in getting going. Tom

John_W

For most varities of peas the biggest problem in getting them into the combine without getting a bunch of rocks and dirt clods or worst. You will need a flexheader or a floating cutter bar and vine lifters about every 18 inches or closer on the sickle. Some new varities of peas stand up much better, but you still need to cut them as close to the ground as possible. Once you get them in the combine the rest is easy.