Pigs keep escaping

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
This is my first time raising livestock, but I applied a lot of the advice that I got here when I asked about fencing. Unfortunately, my Durocs keep getting out. I'm surprised that they can dig as well as they can considering their hoofs, but my Durocs keep going until they've rooted below the chicken wire in the ground. I'd try an electric fence, but their pen isn't near a power source and I can't afford to buy and run a generator just for that. Any suggestions?

MartyR

Farm Hand
It's possible that you didn't bury the chicken wire deep enough. If you want to add an electric fence, look for a solar-powered option.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Pigs are escape artists. An electric fence might help. You can get a solar powered fence charger, just get the most powerful one you can find. Tractor Supply sells them, as do most farm stores.

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
I don't know how smart pigs are, but maybe after 1 or 2 electric shocks, they'll get the point. After that, you may not have to turn the electricity back on the fence until they forget what it can do again.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I don't know how smart pigs are, but maybe after 1 or 2 electric shocks, they'll get the point. After that, you may not have to turn the electricity back on the fence until they forget what it can do again.
Pigs are VERY smart and very persistent. And they will keep checking the hot fence. You have to keep it on, they'll figure it out if you're turning it off.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
This story of escaping pigs is new for me, ahahah. I my farm we hold them in a rach or something of this kind. This is a shed, to be more precise. Now I'm not such an expert, and I don't know what is cheaper, but if you can build such a floor under their ranch they can't escape anymore. If this is too much expensive or the space in which they are is very big you shoud follow the advices of our fellow, putting an electric fence!

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I thought about doing something like that, @vincenzosassone, but I read that it leads to aggression and fighting. I didn't want any tails nipped or any other injuries. It sounds like you guys have good luck with it though. Do your pigs ever go outside? What kind do you have? Sorry to bug you for so much information, but I might try the shed thing next time.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
I thought about doing something like that, @vincenzosassone, but I read that it leads to aggression and fighting. I didn't want any tails nipped or any other injuries.
I don't know... I have never heard something of this kind, but in my family we know that pigs are really mad, they are able to kill you if you fall down in their ranch and go in state of trance. Anyways, don't worry, they recognize you as their owner and in most cases are also scared by you if you pretend to hurt them.
By the way, what if you made a floor only in the nearest of the fence? I know this sounds strange, but can be a solution for you and for your pigs.
Do your pigs ever go outside?
No, I have never lost pigs.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
Should I explain in greater details my idea? I know this sounds strange, but it isn't after all...

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
Should I explain in greater details my idea? I know this sounds strange, but it isn't after all...
I think I understand what you mean. You'd pour concrete around the inside perimeter of the fence to keep them from digging out. I bet that would work. I would try that solution if I planned to use the same spot year after year. Since I'm going to move them around each new breeding season to allow the land to recuperate, I went ahead and turned it into an electric fence. So far, so good.