Planted apple and a pear tree

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
We planted a few apple trees and one pear tree last spring. They are getting bigger but are still pretty small. About how many years do they have to be in the ground before they produce any fruit? I'm starting to think that we should have planted a couple of pear trees.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
My wife plants a lot of fruit trees and berry bushes, so I asked her. The smaller the variety of tree, the faster it will bear fruit. Dwarf trees can take 2 - 3 years to bear fruit, depending on the soil conditions. Make sure you fertilize them if you're not sure about your soil. Jobe fertilizer stakes work well. Full sized trees can take several years before they bear fruit, as many as 15 years. That's why most orchards now use dwarf trees.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Do you have a self-pollinating pear tree? If not, you're going to need to plant another one of a different variety so it can cross-pollinate.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
We planted dwarf fruit trees three years ago. We haven't had any luck with fruit so far. I am thinking that this year might be the winner. We did plant multiples because you need at least two.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Most pear trees and apple trees require another cultivator to set fruit because they rely on cross-pollination. If you have tons of flowers and no fruit, then that might be why. It's also possible that your trees aren't mature enough to produce fruit. That's especially true if it's a standard rather than a dwarf variety. Some standards take anywhere from 5-10 years to mature.

@Desi, I hope you get to pick some fresh fruit this year!

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
Wow! So we did plant two of each and they are looking good! Of course no fruit yet though. I'm excited for the day when we get to pick pears from our land.