Plants for quail covey

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
My husband is building an aviary for my quail covey and I'd like to grow some plants inside. It will be open to the sunshine and air, but covered with wire all the way around to protect the quail. What will grow under these conditions that the covey will enjoy?

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Mint should work. It grows just about anywhere and I don't believe it will hurt your covey. Microgreens will work too. You can sprout them inside, then let your birds have at it.

I bet they'll fly, right? You might want to clip their wings. Otherwise, I could see them getting hurt by flying into the wire again and again.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Marigolds would make a good addition. They help warn off some pests too. I think basil and dill will grow in that environment and the herbs are supposed to be beneficial to quail as well.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Rosemary and sage will grow in those conditions too. Instead of planting these things in the ground, I'd put them pots, so you can pull them out to water them or pull them out if the birds don't like them. Too much greenery and water will add to the humidity levels too. Too much humidity causes respiratory problems in birds. Just keep that in mind as well.