Practical Versus Fun Gifts at the Holidays

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
I was just curious to know if you give people gifts that are practical or fun? In other words, do you give your loved ones things they need or things they want around the holidays? I tend to give practical gifts, but my wife has been hinting she'd like something more "fun" this year.

Maybe I tend to give practical gifts because I am not the best at picking up on hints of things people would like instead. With a practical gift, I know that the person can get some use out of it, if nothing else.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I tend to get people more practical gifts, too. My wife is the one who picks up on hints, remembers things people like, and so forth. She is great at gift-buying, so I usually just go along for the ride. I don't love shopping, but it's worth it to see our friends and family happy.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I usually give fun gifts, since I know the people rarely buy anything fun for themselves. On the other hand, I prefer practical gifts.

Uh, maybe I should rethink my strategy and gift practical things instead.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I give adults practical gifts and I give the younger crowd fun gifts. On the practical side, I try to gift something that will make their lives easier.
@Andrew T, have you decided on a gift for your wife yet?

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
I like to give fun gifts when I can. I know many people who won't buy themselves something enjoyable, so I like to give them a little something to enjoy at holiday time.