Profitable dairy farming

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Oh no, it's not a misconception. Animal breeding and management is the correct place to start, but you also have to build a milk house that will be certified by your local state agency. That is VERY expensive. Before you start acquiring a herd, look into the costs of a milk house. Outfitting the building according to code, buying the equipment, setting up the plumbing and power are huge expenses.
Wow, now I see how expensive this can be. I now understand why any investment requires time and research because this will determine whether or not a farmer qualifies for certification. A lot of strategy and planning involved!

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Lots of planning, and you have to coordinate with your local dairy regulatory agency. Before I even started building my milk house, I brought my building plans to my regulatroy agency for them to review. No sense in building it, if it won't meet code.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Lots of planning, and you have to coordinate with your local dairy regulatory agency. Before I even started building my milk house, I brought my building plans to my regulatroy agency for them to review. No sense in building it, if it won't meet code.
Very accurate, and this is a predicament that most farmers find themselves in. I think it helps when we consult and learn as much as we can before trying out a new venture.