Combines Progress on the 4400

drylander

Glad to hear you got the 4400 going again. You might make the fall harvest yet. I have sure enjoyed the on-going reports on the world famous 4400.

riceman

Glad to hear it. I hope you keep it. It doesn't sound like you're to far from having her field ready! Have you tried to put the seperator in gear or is that farther down the lineIJ

The_Red

As soon as I get every zerk on earth greased, I will give the separator a whirl. At least the chopper isn't frozen up. I turned it yesterday by hand.

JHEnt

Glad to hear the machine is running. Those lines that run toward the right of the combine and sort of above the big electric clutch pulley should be for the hyd drive reel. They go to the flow control valve (the dial on the right when your sitting in the seat). Make sure when you go to run the feeder house that either those hoses to the reel are hooked up or the short hoses with couplers under the cab that the reel hoses hook to are coupled together. Either way you need to make a complete circuit so the oil circulates. Otherwise the pressure buildup will cause the relief valve to open and prolonged running like that can cause pump failure. That reel drive pump only runs when you pull the switch to engage the feeder house so as long as you have the switch pushed in you can run the seperator without worring about it.

The_Red

Thank you for the information and yes all the hoses are hooked up. The reel activation button in the cab reminds you of the old headlight dimmer switches you found on car floorboards 40 years ago. The 4420 I had spent hours on had the electric reel.