Protecting Against Thieves

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
Have you all ever had any livestock stolen? What precautions do you take to protect your livestock against thieves? We have been fortunate enough not to have had any of ours taken so far, but I'd like to increase our security anyway.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Only predators have stolen livestock from us. I have dogs that will bark if anyone comes around and the chickens definitely raise a ruckus when they're upset. I put baby monitors in the barn and coop and I'm a light sleeper, so I'll wake up if I hear something. Smart cams might be a better choice than a baby monitor, but I used what I already had on hand.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
Our dog seems fit enough to us. I haven’t got any things stolen from thieves so far. I don’t understand why people would steal livestock honestly. These thieves sound very stupid to me.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
No thievery here. There are insurance plans that cover livestock, and I'm sure if you take precautions, like camera's for instance, they will give you discounts.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
I have never thought much about thieves. If people have time to plan to steal something, then I guess it’s more efficient for them to learn some skills. Skills are for long term.

Giselle

Farm Hand
I know people who have cams around their farms. I am planning to get one for myself as well. It’s not always about the thieves but at least with a cam you can know what’s going on with your farm when you need.