Pumpkin seeds

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
The kids are carving pumpkins tonight. Does anyone do anything with the seeds? I know some people bake them and add some kind of seasoning. If you do this, please share your recipe.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
We plant them in hopes they grow the next year. We don't always have great luck with them though. I have heard people bake them with cinnamon and sugar. Maybe we will try that this year.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
We roast them with a sprinkle of cinnamon and cloves.

@MichaelS, the pumpkins at the store are probably hybrids and yeah, they're unlikely to grow from seed, at least not true to the parent plant. Grab a packet of heirloom pumpkin seeds and give it a whirl.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
You mean none of you guys have seed fights? Pumpkin seeds are slippery. You're supposed to get a few in your hand, and press an individual seed between your fingertips so it pops out at your siblings, spouses, children, really just whoever is near. Go for it @Charli1. You've already got the upper the hand since your kids don't know about it.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
I have never given much thought to how useful pumpkin seeds can be. Thanks to this thread, now I have an idea of how to experiment. I have always known that they are full of valuable nutrients and high in fiber.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I throw our pumpkin seeds to the chickens. Isn't it too early to carve your pumpkin though? Halloween is still two weeks away. Won't it be a rotting mess by the time Halloween rolls around?

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
They are rich in zinc, magnesium, iron, and antioxidants. It is advisable to take a quarter cup of pumpkin seeds daily. I see some people eat pumpkin seeds before bed when they have trouble sleeping.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Yes, pumpkin seeds can be roasted and eaten as a healthful snack. They may not be popular with so many people but are a good source of beneficial oils and other nutrients, which enhance the health of the bones, heart, and other functions.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
@Henderson That is exactly what we do! We have pumpkin seed fights!
My wife also roasts seeds with a bit of cinnamon. They are so tasty!