Combines R7 best location for feeder shocks

natek

You need to check out this site for some pics about your shocks! Maybe Dan will get you the measurements a little later. There will be some other helpful pics on this site for your machine as I get them.

Dan

I did get a couple of pics to Nate this morning and a couple more tonight. I havn't installed shocks on the front of these older machines for the rear is the main spot that needed them. It surely wouldn't hurt to install front shocks and I would install at a similiar angle as rear if you do. The pics I sent to Nate are with a 7" drum installed and side wall modified a bit to allow max float of drum. We have installed shocks like pics show with out changing drum on many and feeding is much improved. You wouldn't remove top pad or cut side of machine for more float if you leave 8" drum installed. let me know if you have further questions. Dan

Dan

OK David I use 1_4" thick flat iron that is 2" wide and 7.5" long. I do not remove the block if I'm not installing the 7" drum. There is a nylon insert to help prevent bolt wear but it don't get hurt by the heat of welding. Be very carefull of fire under fuel tank and in hydro area. There is never any reason to lube block area. I would allways install shocks at a 90 degree angle to feed floor if I could but the left rear can't be without some fancy brackets so I go with about 45 degrees so left and right side can be at same angle to chain. I am not interested in dampening any fore aft movement of drum just up and down. Hope that helps David. Dan

Del

I was wondering what size shock you usedIJ Better yet do you have a part no. for the shockIJ thanks.Del

Del

How big of a shock do you useIJ Better yet do you have a part no.IJ Thanks. Del

Dan

Del, If I told you I'd have to shoot you. Oh shucks I bet I could go to jail for that. I use the average shock that is low pressure gas. Plain oil filled works fine also and that is all I used untill they sold out of them. I started using the gas filled for they are much easier to find and are cheap. The shock we use was used on the front end of chevy vans for many years. The Gabrial n81108 and Rockhill n89015. They are the shock that loewen uses on the kits they build for the newer machines. We can ship you a pair if you would like and then I wouldn't have to shoot anyone. Just kidding for you can pick them up at most any auto supply store. Have a shocking good day. Dan