Rainwater storage systems

jack

jack

Farm Hand
How do you store rainwater? Storage on free standing plastic tanks requires no excavation and can work on any topography. When should a farmer choose an underground storage system? Above ground tanks can get damaged by animals and are bulky.

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
We have a pond and I use buckets and barrels to capture rain. We also have a well. That's about it. We are getting up in years and it's amazing how efficient rain storage has gotten since we first started out.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Most of the underground storage tanks I've seen tend to require a minimum amount of water to be kept in the tank at all times - which means a person would need to buy and install a tank that holds more water than is need.

Just me (and where I live),but for amounts where above ground tanks start to become too bulky I'd rather turn to digging ponds than install an underground tank/cistern.

Granted digging a pond may not be viable in all areas as it leaves the water more open to the atmosphere and losses due to evaporation ..... so I guess the "best" answer would be switch to an underground storage system makes sense for the location and operation. From what I've seen in my current region, it'd seem ponds tend to be the primary go-to solution for bulk water storage for livestock given rain tends to come frequently enough to keep them at reasonable levels (and winter rains can drop more than enough to offset the driest of summer months).

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
We store our water in both plastic and underground tanks. The latter option allows us to retain and recycle rainwater. Like you say, above ground tanks can get damaged. Having an underground tank solves the problem of keeping the water safe and clean.