Repelling Mosquitoes with Lemon Balm

• Thread starter Homestead Hustle
  • Start date
Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I think most of us are aware that citronella repels mosquitoes, but did you know that lemon balm is also known to repel them? I'm giving it a try this year. I've planted lemon balm in a few pots and put each pot where I like to spend time outside. I have one pot near my front porch swing and another pot sitting on our patio furniture. I hope it proves to be effective.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I never heard that. Let us know if it works.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
Never heard of that as well. But if it works, it’s definitely a good news. I personally like lemon balms but I have never paid attention to whether it helps repelling mosquitoes.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
It is definitely worth a try. I found it pretty good personally. I guess it is because the mosquitoes don’t really like the smell of lemon and such.

Rosebud

Rosebud

Farm Hand
Lemon balm is great for repelling mosquitoes, and I just love the way it smells!

Catnip is also great at repelling mosquitoes. A study even found that it is 10 times more effective than DEET! And, if you have a cat, he or she will be thrilled if you plant some.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
Lemon balm also has a lot of benefits as well. It can calm anxiety. So there’s no reason not to own some lemon balm, no matter whether it can really repel mosquitoes or not.