Request for Interviewees: Masters Research Project: The British Beef Supply Chain

jcampb238

Hello,

I hope everyone is well.

I am a masters student at Glasgow Caledonian University and am currently conducting a research project into meat traceability systems in the British beef supply chain, particularly the challenges faced by supply chain actors within the network when implementing new traceability technologies.

I am seeking to interview key stakeholders such as farmers, meat processors and retailers to gain their views on and experiences regarding the implementation of technology into the supply chain. Additionally, I would like to gather their views on traceability within the British beef supply chain and the challenges the currently face and any they foresee in the future.

The project focuses mainly on blockchain, a new emerging technology and the possible challenges and opportunities associated with its introduction and implementation into the British beef supply chain.

The interviews would be conducted over the phone, or via Skype, Zoom etc.

Please find details of the project below.

And if you are considering participating or have further questions or details about the study you can contact me via my email.
Email: jcampb238@caledonian.ac.uk

Title: An Exploration into the Opportunities and Challenges for Blockchain to Facilitate Traceability within the Supply Chain Network of the British Beef Industry.

Context

Crises such as the 2013 Horse meat scandal have increased stakeholder awareness of the need for traceability systems within the British beef supply chain. As a result, DEFRA and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) have developed stringent traceability requirements in order to trace beef throughout the supply chain, from the farm to the end customer and quickly recall any unsafe produce if necessary. Traceability technologies such as blockchain have been identified as a means of improving the visibility of information regarding beef products to stakeholders. A blockchain is composed of unchangeable blocks of recorded data, which make up a system of records which can be shared, replicated and distributed amongst members within a network.

Aim

The aim of this research is to explore the views of farmers, and other stakeholders, on the adoption of new traceability technologies within British beef supply chains. Particular focus is given to one emerging technology, blockchain. This study explores the barriers and opportunities in its adoption within the sector. The objectives created to meet this aim are:

• To critically review the literature on the introduction of new technologies within a British beef industry context focusing on exploring stakeholder challenges, opportunities and recommendations provided.
  • To investigate core stakeholders’ perceptions and evaluations of traceability technologies within the British beef supply chain.
  • To explore the benefits and challenges of implementing traceability technologies within the British beef industry..
  • To draw together the key findings of the study and if appropriate provide a set of practicable recommendations for key stakeholders within the British beef supply chain network regarding the introduction of technologies to facilitate greater transparency and efficiency.
Methods

The data is to be collected through 10 interviews with key stakeholders such as farmers, meat processors, retailers, regulators and unions within the British beef supply chain.

Output

The output of this research is to produce a range of practicable recommendations for the implementation of traceability technologies such as blockchain into the British beef supply chain. This thesis places the challenges and opportunities facing farmers and other key stakeholders regarding the implementation of traceability technologies at the forefront of academic discussion.

Email: jcampb238@caledonian.ac.uk