Rising feed prices

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
How have you adapted to the rising prices in livestock feed? I'm surprised at how everything has shot up. Even the producers who raise their livestock on cheap corn in feedlots have been grumbling about how expensive it's becoming.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Feed prices go up whenever corn prices go up, as most feeds have corn as their main ingredient. In 2010, feed prices tripled and I had to double my goat milk prices just to break even. My cheese makers (who I sold my milk to) couldn't afford my milk at double the price and they stopped making goat cheese, putting my goat milk operation out of business. I was part of a 75 farm, goat and sheep milk cooperative. 74 out of the 75 farms stopped producing goat and sheep milk in 2010.

Part of the problem is that corn is used for so many other things other than feed, such as methanol for gas. I don't know what the solution is, but it's a bad situation. Dairy farms (cow, goat and sheep) in my area are going out of business at an alarming rate because of this, and this has been going on for over 10 years.

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
Dairy farms (cow, goat and sheep) in my area are going out of business at an alarming rate because of this, and this has been going on for over 10 years.
I'm sorry to hear about the struggles you've been through! I have so many questions though. I have never raised livestock, but I was under the impression that most farmers grew what their animals ate to keep their outlay low. Couldn't you save money on feed by allowing your livestock to graze on pastureland? Also, how do they keep milk and meat prices so low at the grocery store when their suppliers are going out of business? The demand sure hasn't shrunk.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I produced my own hay and had pasture for them, but dairy animals often require a lot more nutrition than that. It isn't normal for them to produce huge volumes of milk for months. Meat animals require less nutrition. Also, when you're feeding dairy goats, they need a bucket of feed to keep them occupied while they're being milked.

MartyR

Farm Hand
@GrowPro, it really depends on what type of livestock you have and what kind of operation you're running. Environmental changes can affect the nutritional value of pastureland. Plus, even if your turnover is quick, you'll still need to get your breeding stock through the winter. Most of the meat and milk products that you see in the store come from factory farms. Prices are competitive, but the animals and workers suffer for it. Stores keep their prices low on things like meat and milk by jacking up the margin on their other goods.

@The Big Cowhuna, I can't remember where I read it, but there was a farmer who fed his cattle gobs of candy and chocolate because it was cheaper than corn. I believe he even left the wrappers on. He was running a fairly large operation.