Robotic Farming Tech

shelbyleighb

Pros and cons to robotic farming technology? Would you use it on your operation?

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Technology continues to define farming operations. One advantage of robotics is the flexibility to perform various tasks in various environmental conditions. There is also the aspect of greater precision and consistency. However, it costs a lot of money to invest in this technology.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
Robotic technology is shaping our farming methods. I think the cost and size of a farm are factors to consider when talking about robotics. Will it get more affordable in the future?

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
If it's actually needed to boost productivity, I'm all for it. Having robotic tech. just for the sake of it is a waste of money in my opinion. Like those robotic floor sweepers that are all over the place. It's not needed, it's wanted and that's not enough reason for me to buy something right now. Money's tight.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
If it's actually needed to boost productivity, I'm all for it. Having robotic tech. just for the sake of it is a waste of money in my opinion. Like those robotic floor sweepers that are all over the place. It's not needed, it's wanted and that's not enough reason for me to buy something right now. Money's tight.
I agree that adopting robotics just because everyone else is going in that direction would not be wise. It is an expensive venture that requires a farmer to have realistic and achievable expectations beforehand.

BuckShotRogers

Hello, just joined the site. I am more on the wholesale produce side, but have farmed and harvested my whole life. I see a lot of large Florida tomato farmers switching over to washing lines that focus more on optics/weight sensors to package their material. Instead of grading tomatoes by hand. Mainly for the green tomatoes which they ripen up with ethylene. The machines make sure box is up to grade/weight and color, so instead of 50 different brains grading they have one software/comp deciding. Very interesting times at robotics right now in farming is coming sooner than later. What has caught my attention is the robot weed removers seen on youtube in prototypes. They are usually 4 wheels and solar powered. They just run through each row and pull weeds. Some identify a weed and spray pesticide at the base or some have a cutting mechanism that cuts/pools weeds. Growing perennials, weeds are a hassle. Bad weather makes it hard to spray sometimes for weeds.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
I see the main benefit of having robotic farming equipment as not having to hire people to help with a large operation. People who have operations small enough to handle themselves, probably wouldn't want the new fangled stuff.

VergeAg

VergeAg

Would you include precision ag tools as a form of robotics? For example, automating equipment?