Rosemary Christmas Trees

• Thread starter Urban Homestead
  • Start date
Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I love those rosemary plants that are shaped like Christmas trees that you see in stores. I thought it would be fun for me and the kids to make one. I started with five plants, just to hedge my bets. Well, my plants were growing well at first, but now all five have brown patches. I removed the plants from their pots to check the roots and they appeared healthy. The soil didn't feel overly dry. What else could it be?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I grow these and am happy to help. Just so your expectations are realistic, I want to warn you that they take ages to grow and few varieties will reach the 4 to 6-feet that you're probably looking for. However, you can shape any non-trailing rosemary plant into a traditional Christmas tree shape, but it will be more of a mini tree. Rosemary plants are tender perennials if you don't live in the correct growing zone, so check that out. Also, where are your plants located (in your house, in your greenhouse, in your yard, etc)? My initial thought was that it was root rot, but since you already ruled that out my next guess is that they got too cold or the humidity is off.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I would love to see a picture. I don't know what these trees are. I can't offer any help because I don't know what they are. They sound really pretty though.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
@Petal to the Metal, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My little boy developed strep throat, so that's kept me busy. I was worried it was COVID-19 at first, but he's good as new now and I'm incredibly thankful for it. My rosemary plants were pretty big already. I had them outside and dug them up to bring in. Right now they are in our sun room. I appreciate your help!

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
I would love to see a picture. I don't know what these trees are. I can't offer any help because I don't know what they are. They sound really pretty though.
I would love a picture too. Based on what @Petal to the Metal says, when is the appropriate time to grow them? Understandably, you tried your best to make these plants, and I believe that next time will be better!

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
@leon, you can grow them any time if you have a greenhouse or you live in zone 7-10 allegedly. I say zone 8-10 though. Rosemary doesn't tolerate a lot of frost.

@Urbanhomestead, it's unlikely to survive because you dug it up. Unfortunately, the plant doesn't take well to being dug up once it's been planted. Stick with it though, and maybe it will prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time a plant thrived when I thought it wouldn't. I'm so glad to hear that your little boy is on the mend! It's tough when the kiddos get sick.

rosemary.JPG

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Darn, I was hoping to save it. I think you're right though, because a whole section of the plant is now brown and dead. What a bummer! Oh well, at least I know where I went wrong. I think I'll keep my rosemary "trees" going as long as I can. I'll know how doing it better next year. Thanks for the help, @Petal to the Metal.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
You did well for a first-timer, and I guess it is not too late to start over? I have seen these plants in stores before, and after reading this thread, I believe I can give it a try!