Set Prices

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
So...........why can't farmers set their own price for their own crops? They are manufacturing something consumers either want or need, but they cannot determine the price by which they can sell their product. Coca-Cola does the same thing, but they determine whether a can of Coke cost 10c or 1 dollar. Every other manufacturing field does this, but not agriculture.

Now, of course, I know why. They are commodities that are traded on CME so the stock price is basically what determines the selling price out in the field. Many farmers are paid by the government to plant certain crops, so the government then sets their prices.

So I guess my question is, why did it get to this point? How did it get to this point?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
I don't fully know the history behind it, but I generally support the regulation of our food supply. Farmers are responsible for nourishing our nation. They feed the kids, the elderly, the average adult workers, and the soldiers alike. Maintaining some sense of control over the very thing that keeps us alive is very different from controlling something that's just nice to have like Coke.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I can see it both ways. I agree with both of you too. It would be nice to set our own prices, I do believe that some do (for certain things). We set the price for our beef.