Setting up stand for EBT

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
With so many people getting help these days we thought we would look into accepting EBT as a payment. Does anyone know anything about getting started with this? Any help is appreciated.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I think you need to get a permit from the FNS first. I believe you can apply online. You'll also need the proper equipment to process the payment, but it's fairly easy and affordable if you're selling at a farmers market. Here's some info about that.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
It might take some time to get approval because I bet there's a backlog due to the pandemic. I accept SNAP at the farmers market, but only a handful of customers have paid with SNAP. Just keep in mind that it might not be worth the fuss.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I accept SNAP at the farmers market, but only a handful of customers have paid with SNAP.
You must live in a pretty wealthy area then. I think that's a good point to bring up though. Whether it's worth the hassle might depend on where you live and how you sell.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
You must live in a pretty wealthy area then.
Oh, yes, I didn't think of that. You're probably right about the location playing a part in whether SNAP is used or not. I wonder if SNAP users are more likely to visit a farm stand than a farmers market too. I could see that being a contributing factor as well.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
Interesting! We actually sell meat too at our shop. Can you use SNAP benefits for something like that? I heard they were pretty picky on what you could use benefits on.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Interesting! We actually sell meat too at our shop. Can you use SNAP benefits for something like that? I heard they were pretty picky on what you could use benefits on.
Different states have different rules, but I believe you'll be okay. I'd go ahead and apply for the permit. It's never been easier, but that might change once the pandemic dies down. Do it before there's more red tape.