Similar to dogwood trees?

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
I've planted many dogwood trees over the years and eventually, they all seem to fall to a twig borer or anthracnose. I just can't keep them alive and trying is getting expensive. So I've decided to plant different trees instead. Is there another tree that is similar? What I like about the dogwood is that it stays fairly short and compact. It's also slow growing and the blooms are beautiful. Does anything else have these characteristics?

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Maybe you could try planting a Princess Kay Plum. It stays pretty short and compact, particularly if you're mindful about trimming it. Its flowers are white and in the fall its leaves turn a beautiful red or yellow color.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
What about Bradford pear trees? Their blooms look similar to dogwoods, and the trees grow to be about the same size as dogwood trees, too. They usually grow to about 30 to 50 feet tall.

Logan

Logan

Farm Hand
We don't have any here, but I always thought Japanese flowering cherry trees looked nice. They have a mix of pastel pink and white blooms that resemble pink dogwoods. They don't grow very tall - about 10 feet in height.