Small Town America

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
Does anyone here feel that the small towns in America are slowly dying off? This recently has been John Mellencamp's reason for endorsing Michael Bloomberg. I never really saw this in my experiences, so has anyone here seen this?

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
If they are, it probably started with the recession of '08 and they never fully recovered. The ripple effects of that are seldom, if ever, talked about.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Small town populations have been dwindling for basically two generations now. Everybody wants those big city lights. :poop:

Barncat

Farm Hand
Are you referring to closed up businesses and most buying being done in regional centers or the biggest towns within the general area? If so, yes the small towns have been dying slowly for a few decades now. If you meant population in the small towns, that seems to be about the same for a decades.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
I think certain towns got hit hard if they relied on one big employer and lost it but the small farm communities seem to be stable even if the farm income is not that high these are generational farms not paying big mortgages or anything. Small towns are great. friendly people, good life to live.

LastMarlboroMan

We moved from near a major city to the rural country 7 years ago. Best move we ever made. From 1/2 acre to 150 acres...

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Hard to find young people today that want to stay in small towns or village do income mostly...we call them natives.