Combines Smoke and Mirrors well mostly smoke

kw

Dad has a 7580 that has been upgraded to the oil spray rods and it does the same thing, but it doesnt burn a drop of oil and is pretty good on fuel.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Nobul, Sounds like a 8070 that I had problems with many years ago.Did a lot of the same things you have tried with no luck.How many hours on this tractorIJIs it FWA equippedIJJust curious.When you had the injectors out,did you run a compression check.Want to make sure all holes are producing 320-380psi.The fix that took care of mine;I had went through the injectors and brought them back to spec. also.I didn't need any parts except for shims,gaskets,and dust seals.I took the injectors back out and put all new nozzles in and reset everything one more time.Guess what,my excessive smoke problem disappeared.Sometimes it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Good luck, Hyper Harvest II

Tom

Now why didnt I know of Hyper II when we had an l2 with a 426IJ There still are black smudges on the shop ceiling from that rascal. We overlooked the smoke because the combine was nearly perfect in all other areas. Tom Russell

Nobul

Tractor has 5700 hrs.Mech says should be good for 10000+.Don't know about that. FWA. Injectors replaced spring 1999. Pump done spring 1998,checked fall 1999 along with injectors. No compression test but will request one done. Will double check for correct installation of tips.Have access to pump from l3 with hole in block or 8070 with burnt cab to compare to present pump if worse comes to worst. On an unrelated topic. Going to Hyperize 89 R50 when I get the head rebuilt. Your opinion on the wide space bars.Can I use these only in the first set and move my relatively good hardened narrow bars to the second position without causing flow through problemsIJ Does anyone really know what is happening in that rotor when it starts rumbling and lugging.

Nobul

Forgot the crop mix. 50% soys (some specialty where no cracks are verrrry important) 40% corn (usually under 26% in normal years) 10% winter wheat (can't figure out why we grow this stuff)(grain usually dry but straw wet).Thanks.

tbran

In grain machines they mix and match narrow and wide spaced bars with some success. In wet straw and green stem soybeans the wide spaced bars on the discharge end are a necessity. Elimination of the reverse bars are important to prevent your rumblings. In order to give you a tour through the cylinder process let me describe it this way. I strapped a helment mini cam onto my MIl and fed her through the throat of a non updated old machine. What we witnessed was that as she entered the cylinder we observed a smooth even process of threshing. As she entered the back of the cyl. things started to bunch up because the reverse bars tried to bend the straw and stems backward. The back end of the straw was pushed ahead of the front and the results were a "balling" or rolling and ropeing. This resulted in a rumble and severe vibration. As she exited the chute and dropped on the spreader she witnessed a bunch of little "cow pies" of crumpled straw scattered around. Now after "Upgrades 2K", aka hyperizing, were performed as you can witness first hand by looking to your left and clicking on 'tips' then 'upgrades' then 'p3' , we persuaded the MIl to take another trip through the P3. ( This took more time than the updates did.) What we observed this time was a smooth flow, no bunching, and grain that was separated thru a thin fast moving mat with the hi-lo beatings and just enuff retarding on the floor area. She didn't even have to get a new perm this trip. All the straw was intact and no cow pies. Now if we can just persuade her to go through the accelerator rolls........

Nobul

Holy smokes tbran. Gotta take it easy on the ole girl-can't afford to replace the combine what with crop prices where they are.We don't have the generous government support here in the southern great white north.Have a friend with the same machine s_n 100 lower running with 3 filler bars in lower concave (the same fellow working on the smoke problem) claims he can run 90 bushel wheat at 5.5mph using1_4 inch cylinder clearance with no other mods.

Dan

Do you have the p_n of the complete new set of tips that were put inIJ Maybe wrong tips. I too have had old injectors that all tested great but needed to trash them and install all new tips. I have also saw more than once where injector bodys were installed 180 degrees off. Return line should be next to rocker cover. Good luck. Dan

Dan

7580's were smokers allright. Changing to the Bosch injector system helped some. Bosch injectors have high presure line going in the top of injector and return line on side next to rocker cover. With Roosa Master fuel pump and engine in good order and still lots of smoke I have advanced timing about 2 degrees from specs. to clear up some. That does hurt starting ability some. Exhaust manifold that turbo is bolted to was changed for the 8000 tractors and could help out smoking problem but I'm unsure. Good luck. Dan