Solar vs. gas vs. battery-powered generators

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
It's been a long time since I needed a new generator and did some comparison shopping. Back then, gas-powered generators were the way to go if you needed a long run time and lots of kick. Have solar-powered generators and battery-powered generators improved enough to be incorporated on ranches and farms now?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I've never tried the battery-operated options. The only one I know of is Goal Zero's Yeti and it's too expensive for what it does in my opinion. I use solar to operate some of my greenhouses. I don't believe a solar-powered generator is enough to operate a fridge, heat/air, and other power hungry appliances in the home for hours and hours at a time. Gas and natural-gas are still superior.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
I just wouldn't trust that a solar powered generator would be adequate to power up a house or a barn. We use gas powered generators here at the house and in the main barn. We bought a few last year, only had to use them once.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I'm going to have to look into this because I did not even know they made solar-powered generator. I also didn't know they made natural-gas generators either. I have just a regular gas generator. Now I have to do some homework on this.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
I have a couple of gas powered generators. I also am not sure how effective a solar powered generator would be. I just don't know if we get enough sun to keep it powered up when needed.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Very interesting that they actually have solar powered generators. I mean, it makes sense but would they work. I don't own any solar powered generators but I would like to know more about them. I've got some research to do.